- There are numerous possible factors at play when motorcycle accidents occur, and the majority of the time it involves another vehicle. Because motorcyclists ride on the outside of their vehicle, they are highly susceptible to injury when an accident happens.
Determining fault, and therefore responsibility, for an accident can be complex. A myriad of factors must be considered, which is why retaining an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer is so crucial.
Insurance companies will often try to settle a claim for only the value of the accident, including the loss of property and hospital bills. It is important to consult with a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer to identify and receive compensation you need and deserve.
It is ironic that the very reason riding a motorcycle can be so exhilarating is also the reason motorcycle accidents can be so disastrous. For it is your freedom from a car’s “cage” that makes you so vulnerable in an accident.
Causes and costs of motorcycle accidents
According to studies by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly 75% of all motorcycle accidents and 50% of fatal accidents, involve two vehicles. The second is usually a car, and the motorcyclist almost always fares worse.
The most common factors in motorcycle accidents include:
- Inexperienced riders or drivers
- Alcohol & drugs
- Distractions (texting, talking on a cell phone, eating)
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Not using a turn signal
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Lane splitting
- Poor weather conditions
- Unexpected obstacles
- Over braking
- Vehicle defects
- Road defects (potholes, broken asphalt)
- Harassment and road rage
- Failing to wear protective gear (helmet, leather)
In most cases it is the front of the motorcycle that is hit. This is also the point of impact that results in the most incapacitating and fatal injuries. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you may already have a good idea of its cost, including physical and emotional pain, expensive medical bills, lost wages and property damage.
Who is at fault when motorcycle accidents occur?
Identifying every potential factor in an accident is important in determining who is at fault or what percent each is at fault and who is financially responsible.
Fault can be a complex question on which you, the other driver, police and emergency responders, and insurance companies do not agree. It is even further complicated if there were equipment failures, poor road conditions, public vehicles, or obstacles involved.
Why do I need an motorcycle accident lawyer when I am covered by insurance?
A motorcycle accident lawyer or attorney can help prepare your strongest arguments, and may even retain a private investigator to help build your case. But you must act quickly. The insurance companies will want to settle as quickly as they can. They will not want to wait to discover that you have long-term medical and disability issues. To them, it’s just business. To you, it is your future. Do not agree to any settlement without obtaining a free consultation from a motorcycle accident attorney.
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you:
- Understand your legal options
- Conduct an investigation into the accident
- Challenge the police report’s findings
- Help prevent insurance companies from settling too soon
- Ensure that your long-term medical, psychological and financial needs are identified
- Fight for compensation
The Thompson Law Office’s motorcycle accident attorneys are here for you. Recovering from a motorcycle accident can be a long, hard road. And it is a road you should not head down alone. If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident and is in need of a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer, please contact Thompson Law Office for a free consultation.